INDUSTRY TOUR – GRASSLAND CONSERVATION AND RESTORATION ON A MULTIPLE USE LANDSCAPE FOR FOOTHILLS FESCUE NATIVE GRASSLANDS
Foothills Fescue native grasslands in SW Alberta are declining and becoming increasingly fragmented with new industrial development and recreation pressures in the region. Competent pre-disturbance site assessment and follow-through are critical to assessing restoration risk, minimizing disturbance, and preparing effective and cost-efficient construction and reclamation plans for all development in native grasslands. This two-day field-based tour addresses:
- Reclamation issues and beneficial practices in the region
- Conservation assessment in native grassland
- Project planning, ecological site restoration risk assessment
and recovery strategies for fescue grasslands
- A tour of industrial sites to illustrate different construction
and reclamation practices in the region
Target Audience Industry environment and construction managers, consultants, planners, operations personnel, and reclamation practitioners working in grasslands, foothills and montane regions of SW Alberta.
- Gain a basic understanding of ecosystem classification concepts for the Grassland, Parkland and Montane.
- Overview of disturbance risk assessments and strategic siting for grassland plant communities.
- Introduce the toolbox for development of appropriate mitigation and restoration strategies, linked to types of
disturbance and grassland plant communities.
- Designing and sourcing suitable native seed mixes and other plant materials for the region.
Registration: Numbers will be limited to reflect Covid-safe outdoor group sizes. A waiting list will be available. While you’re there, check out the great information on industry guidelines and best practices for minimizing impacts to native grasslands and expediting recovery after disturbance.
To secure a spot on the waiting list please use the form below to submit your information. You will be contacted via email by Donna Watt, GRF, to confirm the status of your registration and to make payment arrangements.
Fill out the form below or email donna directly at: [email protected].
*This event takes place outdoors and can be conducted within the current health & safety guidelines, so the GRF will be hosting as planned